jmusic800 at gmail dot com / BROCHURE
COMPOSER – music for the classical concert stage and film. LIST OF WORKS
Composer in Residence: 2B&2C: The Ken Cro-Ken Foundation: Social and Environmental Justice Through the Arts
[Listen to RADIO SHOW (in sidebar or below if mobile) for Kaufman’s work thru 2007]
TEACHER – teaches K thru Doctorate.
AUTHOR and Illustrative Artist- Individual works designed simultaneously as books, audio albums, live shows, workshops, fully orchestrated pieces, chamber ensemble works and children’s theater productions.
PRESENTER/Founder/Director – The PHANTASTIC THEATER, CHIRON Performing Arts, CHIRON Archive 1, CHIRON 3/1/20,
D.M.A. in Music Composition – Cornell University, 1991
M.M.A. in Music Composition – Ithaca College, 1986
B.M.A. in Music Composition – Cleveland Institute of Music, 1983
High School – New Orleans Center for the Creative Arts
Secondary Teaching – Wells College
Bert Braud, Eugene O’brien, Donald Erb, Sydney Hodkinson, Karel Husa, Steven Stucky, Yehudi Wyner, Joe Carroll
Present – Dr. Kaufman’s Studio (private studio) – students of all ages, groups in several areas: includes unique program for young people in performance, fundamentals, composition and improvisation, adult students, regular group-class performances.
• 2002 – 2003 – The Rennaissance School – All Music.
• 2000 – 2001 – Port Jefferson Music Academy and The Laurel Hill School
teacher of composition, piano, voice, woodwinds, beginner and advanced Bands, brass, early program (ages 3-5). Chorus, general music, Theory/ Composition/ History Workshop
• 1998 – 2000 – ACS (Alternative Community School)
Director/Teacher of Music – for gifted and other, Chamber Orch., Jazz Band, Chorus, General Music, Musical Productions.
• 1992-2000 Home Tutor
Ithaca Public Schools – ‘Students ‘at risk’ • Empire State College – Music Theory
1987 – 1992 Southern Tier Institute – Teaching Artist Workshops in Comp., piano, theory, South American Music • Summer of 1992 Rainey Institute (Cleveland. OH)
• 1986-1989 Cornell University – Teaching Assisitant – Advanced Fundamentals Teacher- theory/ Music Theater Elemen. Musicianship, self created/governed – Concert Band (with Maurice Stith).
• The CHIRON Festival of the Arts and Environment (2017), The CHIRON Festival of the Arts and Environment (2018).
• CHIRON Arts Festival – president, music director, organizer (7/95), (7/96), (7/97), (7/98), (7/99), (11/00), (4/2001) Ithaca, NY,(11/03 NYC) – ARCHIVE –
works including: THE PHOENIX, var. solo piano works, Chiron – for chamber orch., Brass Quintet, Madrigal in Spring – for pno. trio, Shades of Sophocles – solo vln, Nocturnal Phantasy, Various works for Dance and chamber ensembles. Mercury’s Shadow – vln.duo.
• Internationales Musikinstitut in Darmstadt, Germany
(8/94) – organized CHIRON in Darmstadt concert – Gesturemusic, a little Jazzmusic, Suite for Cello
• MacDowell Arts Colony (5 time fellow) (1/5 – 2/20/90) -comp. Rieppelmusic and Solo Var. for Viola
• June in Buffalo (NY) — (6/93) – Vibrancy – fl./tba., (6/91)- Gesturemusic-piano- by A. Feinburg
• American Composers Orchestra Readings (6/93) – Ring of Fire – for orch. – Denis Russel Davies, cond.
• Ithaca Festival (6/91) (6/99 – 00) (NY) Premier of Music for Young Musicians#1-composer conducting
• ACS Chamber Orchestra concerts.
• Northeastern Composers Conference (8/90)-Plymouth, NH – Premier of Solo Variations for Viola – George Rosenbaum
• Festival Chamber Orch.(3/90)-Ith. NY – Cornell Univ. – Prem. Rieppelmusic – pno./chamb. orch. //piano- Daniel Rieppel, composer conducting
• Charles Ives Center for American Music (8/89)-Danbury, CT – Performance of Atmoshperes of Passion (vla, str., pno. and pc.)
• Encore Summer Music – summers of ‘86 and ‘87-Wilkes-barre, PA – Premiers-(’86) Rhythmic Fanfares and (’87) Symphonic Waves – Composer conducting
Manhattan Producers Alliance, American Music Center, ASCAP, Electronic Music Foundation, American Composers’ Forum, SCI
Eugene O’Brien, Daniel Rieppel, Jeffrey James, Joe Carroll
Various Credits: NEWS and HIGHLIGHTS
Awards and Grants from Meet The Composer, MFJ, CAP and UCC Council on the Arts, Saltonstall Foundation, NYC Cultural Program • Fellow 5 times at the MacDowell ArtsColony • American Composers Orchestra Readings • previous board member of the ACA and Society for New Music • Individual Artists Award Ithaca New York • Reviewed for the New Music Connoisseur • Music has been featured at festivals and venues such as Eastman’s Musica Nova, The Internationales Musikinstatut in Darmstadt, Charles Ives Center for American Music, American Composer’s Alliance, June in Buffalo, Harvard University, the University of Puerto Rico in San Juan, The United Nations and Concerts in the Heights among many others • the SageFellowship (Cornell Univ.) • Kaufman is a friend of New York-based Duotone Studios.